Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Looking forward to 2015

It's almost a week into 2015 and MMO's well, nothing OMG spectacular on my radar sadly.
I've come to the conclusion most Korean style games are not to my taste, my time in ArcheAge confirmed that.  I don't care for the art style or grindy-ness of the play.

 My sub to ArcheAge (AA) expires in a few weeks and it's going to be shelved.  Many fun aspects of AA, but so many things wrong the scale tips to heavily in the "stop playing this game now" direction.  So this week, I'm giving away all the properties to guildies, emptying mail, closing account and saying goodbye.  Too bad, it seemed to have potential, but honestly I think the peak fun with ArcheAge was Alpha testing over the summer.  What XL/Trion have put out there is just wrong on so many levels.



But then again, I don't like F2P games in general, as I've yet to see it done well. I'd rather pay a sub then get nickel and dimed to play!  I don't mind a buy to play with a cosmetic cash shop, or even a minor boost to getting ahead (not a full P2W), but the double-dipping of pay a sub and buy from the cash shop to actually pay - wrong!

So, I'm starting 2015 with my regulars - The Secret World (TSW), World of Warcraft (WoW), with some random acts of Planetside2 (PS2) and Shroud of the Avatar.

A couple or three games I downloaded over the Holidays are: The Repopulation, Life is Feudal and Project Gorgon.  H1Z1 I'm still on the fence about, but may be added in the rotation in a few weeks..

The Repopulation
Repop is compared to the glory days of Star Wars Galaxies (SWG), having not played it, I can't say if that's true or not, but it does have a deep, almost overly-complex crafting system.  That and the sci-fi setting has it stand apart from the other games.  It's currently available on Steam for $39.99


Life is Feudal
It's a hardcore sandbox game set in the middle ages.  Right now you can only play the limited version (YO) as the MMO will not launch until fall.


Project Gorgon
Another sandbox-y type MMO set in a fantasy type setting.  Deep crafting, interesting combat and you can turn into cows and pigs.  Definitely worth checking it out.  It's completely free right now. It has been Greenlit by Steam recently as well.  Graphics are rough, but for a very small team of devs, it's pretty interesting so far.  The dialog with NPC's borders on hilarious too at times.








No comments:

Post a Comment